Jon Dale summarises a Times Higher survey of academics' frustrations with students as follows:
- Poor written English, especially punctuation.
- Propensity to complain and to take complaints to extreme levels.
- Plagiarism, expecially online.
- Preoccupation with marks.
- Failure to understand the difference between learning and being taught.
- Students who fail through laziness, then try every available trick to get back in.
- Students who don't attend lectures.
- Lack of independent thinking.
I know students who have done all of these things... (I'd like to think I managed to avoid at least some of them though).